February 23rd 2023
This event was designed to help our young people to understand how to interpret reports, statistics, and information about: · Labour supply and demand · Employment rates · The local economy · Future labour trends · Business growth & decline · Information about different jobs and sectors · Skills and qualifications To enable our students to: · See the relevance of education to their future by understanding how skills and knowledge develop their employability · Identify the sectors where there is growth and possible jobs · Know the issues different sectors are facing · Who are the main organisations in this sector- small and large organisations · Demonstrate to potential employers their understanding of the environment in which they wish work
Activities included: · Jobcentre/DWP - LMI Quiz. Picture Quiz, Guess the Civil Service Department, What they did before they were famous, Careers fortune tellers. · Groundwork-Employer Expectations Exercise · Durham University-‘Thinking about careers’, helping students learn about different courses. available, and how these can lead onto different careers.
· Official New College Durham -Employability skills session
· Derwentside College -Job Explorer database (JED) workshop
· HMRC -An overview of what they do and how they help run the country. An insight into the different career paths available. What it’s really like working for HMRC.
· Discover Economics- Royal Economic Society - Is remote working a good thing? What jobs can you do in economics? Addressing gender stereotypes.
University of Sunderland -LMI and Healthcare Professions. As healthcare is a growing sector, students looked at various courses linked to healthcare professions and had an opportunity to use some medical equipment.
· NE Local enterprise partnership-LMI in a box. Looking at all careers which can be linked to a sector. How to effectively use the National careers service to research career pathways
· Career Top Trumps -Using the Top Trumps Career card game to access LMI information about different jobs.